If you're a dog lover, chances are you've seen elevated bowls for sale at your local pet store. You may have even wondered if they're really necessary or if your four-legged friend would be just as happy drinking out of a standard bowl on the floor. Let's take a closer look at the pros and cons of elevated bowls to help you decide if they're right for your pup.
The Pros of Elevated Bowls
There are several benefits to using an elevated bowl for your dog, including:
- Improved digestion. When dogs drink from elevated bowls, they have to swallow less air than when drinking from a bowl on the ground. This can help prevent bloating and gas.
- Reduced neck strain. For dogs with long necks, drinking from a bowl on the ground can cause strain and discomfort. Drinking from an elevated bowl puts less strain on their neck and shoulders.
- Easier drinking for older dogs. Older dogs often have arthritis and other joint issues that make it difficult to bend down to the ground. An elevated bowl makes it easier for them to drink without pain.
- Ideal for flat-faced breeds. Dogs with short noses (known as brachycephalic breeds) often have trouble breathing when drinking from a bowl on the ground because their noses get in the way. An elevated bowl helps these dogs drink more easily.
The Cons of Elevated Bowls
There are also some potential drawbacks to using an elevated bowl, such as:
- They can be expensive. Depending on the brand and style you choose, an elevated dog bowl can cost more than a standard one.
- They can be difficult to clean. Some elevated bowls have nooks and crannies that can be hard to reach when cleaning. This can lead to bacteria build-up if not cleaned properly.
- They're not always necessary. Unless your dog has a medical condition that requires an elevated bowl, they probably don't need one. In most cases, a standard bowl on the ground will work just fine.
If you're like most dog owners, you want only the best for your furry friend. That's why you feed them high-quality food and make sure they get plenty of exercise. But what about their watering needs? Just like humans, dogs need to stay hydrated, and an elevated dog bowl is the perfect way to do it. Not only does it make it easier for your dog to drink, but it also helps prevent bloat. So what are you waiting for? Give your best friend the gift of good health with an elevated dog bowl today!